In November 2013, the University was successful in securing EPSRC funding for nine Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs), including the renewal of three that are currently running. The University is a partner in two further successful bids from University College London and the University of Liverpool. Five of these courses are in the Department of Engineering with an additional award within the School, in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, announced on 28 March 2014. The first cohorts of students started in October 2014.
Details of the School's CDTs are as follows:
- Future Infrastructure and Built Environment: http://www.cdt-civil.eng.cam.ac.uk/
- Gas Turbine Aerodynamics: http://www.cdt-turbo.eng.cam.ac.uk/ – in partnership with Universities of Oxford and Loughborough
- Graphene Technology: http://www.doctoral.graphene.cam.ac.uk/
- Integrated Photonic and Electronic Systems: https://www.ipes-cdt.org/ – joint CDT with University College, London
- Ultra Precision: http://www.ultraprecision.org/ – in partnership with Cranfield University
- Sensor Technologies and Applications: http://cdt.sensors.cam.ac.uk
The Department of Engineering also contributes to the following CDTs housed within the School of the Physical Sciences: Computational Methods for Materials Science and Nano Science & Technology Doctoral Training Centre Cambridge (NanoDTC).
Further information regarding EPSRC CDTs within the University can be found here: http://www.epsrc.group.cam.ac.uk/