Research Student Application for Fieldwork Funds – School of Technology
The School of Technology has a limited annual fund from which it can support graduate research students in carrying out fieldwork.
Please send your completed application form, along with evidence of approval for leave to work away and your departmental risk assessment form to: Rachael Tuley, School of Technology (rlt23).
This fund is intended to
• support research students in carrying out substantial research outside Cambridge (in the UK or overseas) which is essential for the research project to succeed and cannot be conducted whilst in Cambridge;
• provide assistance that cannot be covered by other funding sources - applicants must also apply to all other available sources for which they are eligible;
• cover a proportion of total fieldwork costs and costs of associated travel;
• provide a contribution to accommodation during research trips if the living costs are significantly higher than in Cambridge and/or you are required to continue to pay rent in Cambridge at the same time.
Exclusions – the fund is not able to
• fund students registered at an approved University Partner Institution;
• fund students participating in an approved exchange agreement where there is a period spent at another institution and fees are waived at Cambridge (e.g. A*, NIH);
• fund participation on study tours;
• fund students with other financial sponsorship that includes adequate resources for fieldwork expenses;
• contribute to standard living and subsistence costs – students are expected to meet those costs normally sustained whilst in Cambridge;
• support trips of less than two weeks in duration or research which could be feasibly conducted from Cambridge using internet-enabled methods such as Skype or digital record collections;
• contribute to costs of travel for a period of time to be spent at another institution where this is not for the purpose of fieldwork, nor provide funding for any related fees, or support travel to conferences.
When to apply
Applications for fieldwork funds should be made at least one month before the date of travel. Any applications for trips longer than one term in length should be made by the midpoint of the term prior to that in which the fieldwork is to be undertaken, at the latest.
When will I receive an outcome?
You can expect to receive an outcome to your application within 2 weeks.
How will I receive the funding?
Any funding will be issued to you by your department. Please note, your department may request that you provide receipts for your expenses so do keep a record of your expenditure.
On return, you will submit your Fieldwork Fund Report (last page of the application form) confirming the details of your completed trip, highlighting any changes to the plan included in your fieldwork fund application. You will need to confirm your expenditure and if, as a result of funding from other sources or less expenditure than expected, unspent funds exist you will be required to return these to the fund.